Friday, March 5, 2010

Kerrrrrrristmas

I haven’t emptied my head yet.

I’m really looking forward to our holiday at the end of this year. Really. I’m excited about being away for Christmas.

About being overseas for the FIRST time.

About being away for a decent length of time.

About visiting interesting places.

My excitement is possibly the only thing keeping my head screwed on and my feelings buoyant at the moment.

(My cat is snoring beside me)

When I was driving home today I was thinking about Christmas and, in particular, the gift-giving thing. I may be crucified for saying this (ahaha – Christmas joke).....I’m not a big fan.

I love making people happy. It’s not that I’m nasty or tight-fisted.

I just get a yukky feeling about how much money is spent. By everyone. I feel stressed when buying gifts: ‘Will they like it? Just in case they don’t, I’ll get them another thing’.

Opening presents seems to take so long that it feels like a chore and not like a joyous handing over of gratefulness at all.

And do you know what else? I was spring cleaning a couple of months ago and I have SO MUCH STUFF. I have stuff I’d forgotten about. I really do not need more things.

I would dearly love to have gift-free Christmases. Gatherings of family and friends for a delicious meal and delightful conversation. That’s all I want for Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment